View Single Post
Old 04.12.2024, 08:46 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietears
I really like rather ripped! I always recommend it to people who are first getting into the band, because it's more mellow and chilled out than the rest. Even though I do LOVE crazy noises and harmonics, I think Rather Ripped can be a nice, calmer record to go back to. I also just think it proves that Sonic Youth doesn't JUST make guitar noises and weird songs.
that's the problem for some of us who learned to love this band by listening to evol or bad moon rising or confusion is sex (althought the first time i heard them was on the radio, i was new here, and kim singing drunken butterfly got me like a bullet through the chest. but then i got evol as a cd. evol! it was from another planet. but i digress)

my problem with it i guess is that yes, they can play this or that but this was never what i listened for with this band. not that they don't have a right to do whatever they wanted. they do. but i was rather disappointed with the result

to me it feels like the reverse of the year punk broke. that movie title meant the year punk broke into the mainstream (1991). but rather ripped to me sounds and feels like the year the mainstream broke into sonic youth

you could maybe say the same about the velvet undergrounds loaded i guess ("loaded with hits"). but i fucking love loaded. except that annoying lonesome cowboy bill shit. ugh! more earworm than anything. but i love that album anyway. but rather ripped i'm sorry i i don't. of course anybody else who wants to definitely can and should. im not the musical police

but yeah haha, i was (horribly) disappointed by it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|