Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Song On Eternal (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30814)

sarramkrop 04.29.2009 07:05 PM

Massage The History is really fantastic. This is a Sonic Youth record that deserves repeated listenings, but this song stands out from the rest. One of those 'wow! how did they do it?' moments. I'm so happy to have been proven wrong.

greedrex 04.30.2009 03:14 AM

^^ Happy Porky! cool.

Alexander 04.30.2009 07:26 AM

Sacred Trickster, Calming the Snake, No Way, and Malibu Gas Station are certainly standouts.

Silver_Rocket 04.30.2009 11:35 AM

i voted for anti-orgasm!

transmogrifier 04.30.2009 02:27 PM

After listening to the album about 7 or 8 times, these are the songs I look forward to hearing each time:

Sacred Trickster
Anti-Orgasm
Antenna
What We Know
Thunderclap
Walkin Blue
Massage the History

And I don't dislike any of the others. Great album.

deflinus 04.30.2009 02:37 PM

man, nobody loves leaky lifeboat. i think it's a fun song

mysonichaircut 04.30.2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus
man, nobody loves leaky lifeboat. i think it's a fun song

i do. leaky lifeboat, malibu gas station and poison arrow are the best - they are something new, fresh and funny.

Kyohan 04.30.2009 03:26 PM

What We Know and Calming the Snake for me. Antenna, Massage the History and Anti-Orgasm are pretty great too.
Leaky Lifeboat is a bit weak IMO, but its a great album overall. Probably their best since Goo, but I need some more time with it to decide for sure.

static-harmony 04.30.2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyohan
What We Know and Calming the Snake for me. Antenna, Massage the History and Anti-Orgasm are pretty great too.
Leaky Lifeboat is a bit weak IMO, but its a great album overall. Probably their best since Goo, but I need some more time with it to decide for sure.

Best since Goo? You are kidding right. They have released better albums than Goo. ATL, Murray Street, even Sonic Nurse. I have to say that Goo and RR are one of the so-called "bad" albums they have released. Even though my favorite song has to be Kool Thing.

Kyohan 04.30.2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
Best since Goo? You are kidding right. They have released better albums than Goo. ATL, Murray Street, even Sonic Nurse. I have to say that Goo and RR are one of the so-called "bad" albums they have released. Even though my favorite song has to be Kool Thing.

No, I'm not kidding at all. I think they lost their way big time after Goo and took a while to get it back again. ATL is a great album, Sonic Nurse is pretty good and I like RR more than most seem to; Murray Street is a little patchy IMO.
So, The Eternal is potentially the best thing they've done for a long time. I need to hear the proper version and spend some time with it to be sure though.
Everything they did before Goo is massively superior, of course, but to still be producing quality albums at this stage of their career is pretty amazing.

Pax Americana 04.30.2009 05:19 PM

I've listened to it twice now, and so far Antenna is my fav.

automatic bzooty 04.30.2009 06:25 PM

antenna
enna
enna
eh
eh
eh

joe11121 04.30.2009 07:55 PM

I can't wait to get this album!

samuel 05.10.2009 05:11 PM

My initial least favorite has become my favorite.
Calming the Snake all the way!

The ferocity of the live version seems like an experience, and I can't wait for it on July 6th. The studio version, I think of as a different version completely. Kim sounds much more restrained, which is what turned me off at first. But... it still works, and I find myself listening to it repeatedly.

koolthing78 05.10.2009 06:33 PM

^^^ I agree. While "Poison Arrow," "Anti-orgasm," "Antenae" are all great (plus the others, too--really not a bad song on the album), I think that I would've felt something was missing if "Calming the Snake" wasn't on there. Most of the other songs have a noisy/detuned-sounding section as part of their structure (in between the more "normal," straightforward sounds), whereas "Calming the Snake" really is full-on old school SY weirdness (reminds me of the harshly chiming sounds on Sister, like "Tuff Gnarl" or "Cotton Crown"). There's a lot going on it that song, and hearing the early live version on youtube (where the guitar parts were not distinguishable) just made me think it was hastily thrown together noise (not that there's anything wrong with that).

That being said, I'm glad to see the love for "Bobby Pyn." It's probably my least favorite, and aside from the noise section I think it's kind of dull. But to see others list it as their favorite just shows there must be something I'm missing. And I'd rather feel that way than simply blase. As long as someone's being moved by it, they've done their job!

joe11121 05.10.2009 06:55 PM

Anti-Orgasm is my favourite

!@#$%! 05.11.2009 12:25 PM

i like massage the history best of the best

batreleaser 05.11.2009 04:50 PM

I havnt been able to hear MassagedHistory yet, the version i downloaded gave me "theDiamond Sea" where Massage the History is supposed to be.

Derek 05.11.2009 05:41 PM

Yeah..

hahahahahahaha.

koolthing78 05.11.2009 08:00 PM

Ummmmm... has anyone told him yet?